Friday, March 22, 2024

Who Did Do It?

In a recent post, I mentioned my January mini veg out, watching whodunits. To be specific, they’re mostly British mystery series.  I’m not an Anglofile, per se, but there’s just something about British productions.

Maybe it’s the real-looking people, who aren’t forced to be a size 0, and are pulled and lip-plumped to within an inch of their lives.  These same actors I’ve seen over and over in various series since the ‘80s.  Maybe it’s the acting.  I really think, though, good acting is only half the job – it’s the writing and directing that make for a really good series.  If only Hollywood was more British in their approach to television!

I’m sure you all know about these, but I just thought I’d list all the mysteries I so love to watch.  Maybe you do too, and will see something new to enjoy.

Inspector Morse
.  I’ve loved, and watched the series *so many* times since 1987, and used to hum the entire Barrington Pheloung Morse theme song, to my husband’s amazement.

Then came, in more or less descending order:
Poirot, another long-time fav
Foyle’s War
Marple
Midsomer Murders
Father Brown
Inspector Lewis
Inspector Lynley
Endeavour
Sherlock
Death in Paradise
Zen (because Rufus Sewell is just so handsome!)
Rosemary & Thyme
Pie in the Sky
Murder in Provence
Shakespeare & Hathaway
Hetty Wainthropp Investigates
Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries

and very recently added these:
Magpie Murders
Vienna Blood
Unforgotten
Professor T
Annika
Miss Scarlet and the Duke

In scanning my Watchlist, it’s amazing how many *other* British productions I also return to again and again.

If you’re also into legal shows, I recently re-watched The Good Wife, which I hadn’t seen in years, and the sequel, The Good Fight - both excellent!

Happy Viewing!
Dawn




2 comments:

  1. We also like New Tricks and Lovejoy. New Tricks has retired policemen working on cold cases, directed by a younger policewoman, and Lovejoy is a young Ian McShane as an unscrupulous and funny antiques dealer. It's the same vintage as Morse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diann! I hadn't heard of New Tricks, though I watched Amanda Redman in At Home with the Braithwaites. I watched Lovejoy yrs. ago, but when I tried to watch it recently, somehow the show felt more dated than Morse, even tho from the same era. Next time BritBox has a discount, I'll watch New Tricks!

    ReplyDelete