Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Meg's Blog

I should have done this ages ago – add Schoolhouse Press’ blog to my sidebar.  My oversight has now been corrected!

I taught myself to knit by reading EZ’s “Knitting Workshop” in the late ’80’s.  Actually, I just read the first few chapters, then walked to the local dime store to buy circulars, and CO for a color pattern pullover in my handspun wool.  

Up until that point, I was knee deep in washing fleece, picking, carding, spinning, naturally dyeing it, then weaving it.  No, we didn’t live on a farm!, just a small house in a village.  I’d lay washed fleece out on the grass and skeins of yarn would hang from the wash line, to dry.  The neighbors had never seen anyone do what I did.

Later, when we sold that house, I also had to sell all my equipment - the picker, the carder that hubby had motorized, and the floor loom.  

But the knitting needles stayed, although I replaced the cheap dime store ones with Addi Turbos and Bryspun’s previous style of dpns with the blunt tips – both still my favorite needles.

When all else is lost, there is still knitting.  I have a floor loom again, though I don’t get to weave as often as I’d like.  I no longer want to process fleece, and although I *think* about dyeing yarn, I never seem to have the time and real motivation to carry through with this thought.  Maybe one day.

Knitting, though, is a permanent fixture.   Most of my ideas involve the endless hours of enjoyment in making those hundreds to thousands of loops of yarn.

Blogging, however, I know I am not as good at!  Ideally, it would be like Meg’s blog, which is a delight!, but there is only one EZ and Meg, with Cully’s video skills.

On my rather long to-do list is to one day redo the videos I have, and add more.  Mine were done decades ago, with a camera of low resolution, as was typical then.  Even the camera I’ve had since is out of date, resolution-wise.  Hence, its place on the list.

Meg’s videos are excellent, clear, and charming.  I find myself clicking on topic after topic is the tag list, eager to read and see more, even with topics I know.  So, I defer to their excellent presentation of knitting info!

Happy Knitting, Happy Spring!
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment