Monday, August 22, 2022

Repurposing Space

Many of us live in constrained spaces.  Finding ways to store our essentials, preferably without spending $, can be a challenge.

My studio space (everything for spinning, weaving, sewing, and ALL the shipping accoutrement) is in our dining room. The room is only about 13’ square, and has 2 (space wasting) built-in corner cupboards, 3 windows, a doorway and a large opening to the stairwell and living room.




I am constantly trying to eek out a bit more storage.  The largest bugbear to this room has been this keyhole desk above. We bought it years ago from the local Restore, long before I bought the new-to-me floor loom, as my office was originally in the dining room, but is now squeezed into my bedroom.

I’d have sold it already, and put a 4’ wide tall metal rack in its place, except it was a Project getting it into the dining room in the first place.

All our interior doorways are a bit too narrow, so the door moldings had to be removed first, so the desk would squeeze through, then the moldings had to be put back and the paint touched up.  So, this baby isn’t going anywhere, until we cut the desk’s overhang off the back of it, so it can go through the doorways and out!  

Last night, as I continued plans for spinning and weaving projects I need to start soon, the dilemma arose as to where on earth was I going to put a bump or 2 of wool top, as well as the things I will be weaving – more rag rugs and wool afghans.

So, I gave the desk a re-think.  Both the large lower drawers hold files.  But as we also keep files in the basement, I decided to move all the files out and stash my fabrics in the drawers.

Some people save jars (I do too, and plastic bags, and, and..), but I also save boxes.  I have a bunch of PM Regional Rate C boxes, back from when they actually offered a rate C option.  I use them on occasion and just Sharpie over the ‘Rate C’.  But, it turns out they are also the perfect width for the desk’s metal file holders to hold all my files. Taped the bottoms for strength and cut off the top flaps.  Now I just gotta haul them into the basement.

Both drawers stuffed to the gills!


Onward!
Dawn







 

No comments:

Post a Comment