Friday, August 19, 2022

Wool Pillow Project

I've long admired all the great new wool bedding products being made, but my thrifty DIY self does not like to pay premium prices for something I can make myself, and the one thing I've been needing is a new bed pillow.

For many years I've been using Tempur-Pedic pillows when I find them at a good price. They last me many years, as I have no qualms about cutting them open and re-shifting the insides, to keep the ideal pillow shape, as needed.

One of my hand spinning experiments was a really thick roving yarn that I semi-felted. My wheel isn't really geared to spinning this type of yarn easily, so the experiment ended there.

I have several balls of it, and no immediate need for it to be woven or knit, but hubby used to have a Martha Stewart pillow that was just filled with little poly puff balls, so I took the idea and have been cutting the yarn into about 1.5-2" lengths and pulling each bit apart to make little wool puff balls. 

Here's my largest (16" diameter) SS bowl being filled with them.  I filled the bowl a couple times.  I then stuffed them into a zippered pillow protector, so the tufts can be re-shifted and added to, as needed. 


It has taken some time to finish this project, but I didn’t work on it consistently.  Although it initially looked like one, 100 gr ball of yarn made enough puffs to fill about half the pillowcase, it turns out using only 2 balls of puffs would have made a rather flat pillow.  In the end I used 4 balls (400 gr/14 ozs.) of yarn cut and pulled into puffs.  I didn't pack the pillowcase, instead I left enough room for shifting the puffs, as needed.  On with a cotton pillowcase, and I slept on it last night for the first time.  


I was hoping, but wasn’t expecting, the pillow to work out as well as it did.  The little puffs allow my head to nestle in, and I could scrunch the pillow under my neck, when shifting from my back to my side.  It worked out well and is comfortable.


If anyone tries this idea, do let know how it works for you!

Onward,
Dawn







No comments:

Post a Comment