Thursday, August 4, 2022

Waking the Sleeping Beds

(Originakky oposted on WP 5/1/21.)

Thank goodness for rain!

Well, that’s not what I say when it is raining, as rain keeps me from continuing to weed, manure, plant bushes, lay the landscape fabric, then finally cover it with cedar mulch.

But, I really need a day or so in-between hard-work gardening days, which spring  always is. My brain wants me out there getting it done, but my body says NO, in no uncertain terms! It’s not well yet and so, too much physical exertion lands me in bed for a day. I hate all this wasted time. I’m a do-er by nature, so lying around needing to rest irks me!

But I am pleased with the progress thus far. Both of the (long ago planted) heirloom rose beds had the above treatment, which they’ve been needing since they were put in. Now I can finally not need to weed constantly – that time is better spent on spinning, dyeing and weaving.

This right side of the house bed now has 2 white azaleas and a blue hydrangea planted.


This matching bed on the left side of the house is being done today. 

 

Some of last year’s hollyhocks were coming up, but are still small, so I dug them up, plopped them into a bucket of water, until I can fill some pots to flank the kitchen door and garage door entrance.  Don’t know if they like being transplanted, but it can’t hurt to try.

I also still need to dig out and weed a small area for the honeysuckle, by the arbor.

Then there’s the longgg process of edging around all the rest of the perennials with bricks set at an angle.

Not only does my neat-freakness extend to wanting my gardens neat, but the few times we’ve had landscape guys in to mow the weeds, I mean lawn, and suck up all the autumn leaves, they made a hash of the jobs - whacking down all my Lily of the Valley last summer and then taking away all the leaves off the garden beds last autumn, which I put there specifically for the winter! Grr.

So, the edging is crucial, to keep them out of the beds, IF we ever use them again.

Yesterday, I prepped the driveway bed  (which usually gets green beans) and planted the hollyhock seeds I saved last autumn, then lightly sprinkled some chipped branches hubby did last autumn, until they propagate and grow enough to mulch it better.




I ordered snow peas to plant in these pots, (showing last yr’s green beans). Have plenty of jute to string up a trellis for them. And lettuce of course for the gutters. Early May may sound late for cool-weather peas, but it does remain cool-ish here until the beginning of July. And believe me, I have planted things in April only to have to reseed in May, as April seems to be too cool for propagating here!

On the ‘Eventually List’ is the removal of these way-too-large bushes flanking the front entry. Will find something more to fit the scale of the house.

Not sure what’s better – buying a house with no landscaping, so you can completely personalize it, OR buying one who’s previous owner had a schizo, OK, *freestyle*, approach to garden design. One of this, one of that, everything in the wrong place for it to grow well, and planted too closely to everything else. Good thing it’s only a 1/4 acre plot. Any bigger and we’d not live long enough to fix it all!

Onward!
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment